Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Hi,
I have removed my superdrive on my macbook and replaced it with a SSD. I now want to install windows with bootcamp but the bootcamp assistant expects my to use a windows installer disc because it thinks that I should have a superdrive. i obviously cannot do this (I don't want to put it back in because of the delicate nature of some of the cables that I have to disconnect/reconnect).

I used the trick that modifies the bootcamp info.plist to allow me to create an installer USB. This worked fine until I tried booting from the USB. Apparently my macbook is too old and does not support booting legacy OS (anything except Mac) via USB. So this is not an option either.

The only other option I am left with is to erase my spare (original) internal hard drive and "burn" the bootcamp created windows installer dmg to that. I should then be able to boot into that internal drive and run the installer to install windows on a second partition on my other (SSD) internal drive.

I tried restoring the internal drive with the dmg using disk utility but the drive didn't show up during the boot process (holding option while booting). Only my Macintosh HD and Recovery HD appeared.

Do I have to do something else to the internal HDD to make it bootable? I don't know what else has to be done other than restoring the dmg to it. Does it need to have a certain partition scheme? Does it need to be blessed? Does something have to be edited in the MBR?

I thought this should be the easiest way because the computer expects to boot from an internal drive anyway!

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.