Copy created date to similarly named files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KZB, Sep 8, 2015.

1. KZB macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and have a bit of a puzzle.

Goal: Automatically copy created dates from files in one set of directories and subdirectories to files with similar names in another folder structure.

Situation: I have tons of old files going back to the 80's that I have just finished converting from old applications to current versions sometimes changing applications. For example, old Word and MacWrite files to .docx files. Old emagic Logic 3.0 files to Logic Pro 9 files etc.
    Along the way I had to do lots of "Save As" work that resulted in losing the created dates of the old original files.

Most of the new files have identical names with new file extensions. Sometimes the new file name has a little text appendix or prefix added to the original file name in addition to the file extension that I added as a way of remembering something about the file.

Is there any utiltity or tool that will allow me to point at a folder and say...look at everything in these target directories, if you find a matching string in the name of a file in the source directory copy the created date from the source to the target file? Even doing a "name must match except for file extension would save me hours."

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Note an application that does this would be preferable to an Applescript because I have no experience scripting..although might be able to figure it out with explicit enough instruction.
    Thanks!
    KZB

2. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

3. KZB thread starter macrumors newbie