copy do I copy dvd I make.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bob5731, Aug 9, 2009.

1. bob5731 macrumors member

Hi
    How do I make backups of DVDs on a standalone DVD VCR combo using a Mac?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm not sure how the DVD/VCR is involved, but you can use a program like Toast to copy disks.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You can't backup DVD's through the actual DVD player.

You'd need a computer to do it.

You can use Handbrake to rip it, and then Toast to burn it.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

handbrake isn't for ripping, it's for encoding. to rip you want a program like mac the ripper or ripit.

5. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Ah my fault

And what?

7. lostless macrumors 6502

If you have toast its real easy. Just use the copy option. You can also drag and drop the videots folder on the DVD onto your computer which copies the dvd to hard drive and then use toasts Video DVD via videots folder option. If you don't have toast, a free program called Burn can also copy the DVD. MacTheRipper is only for copy protected DVDs and Handbrake is to encode it for playback on an ipod, appleTV, Xbox360 ect.

8. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member

backup vhs to dvd then copy the dvd to dvd!!!

9. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I'm guessing this wont work as its not a DVD recorder, its just a reader, or the OP wouldn't have asked his (incredibly cryptic) question "copy do I copy dvd I make".

If it IS a DVD recorder that lets you copy from VHS to DVD, then the "bleedin' obvious" suggestion is, copy it twice !

10. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

If you haven't got a DVD recorder. Your gonna need to get one. Then copy the video to DVD. Then the computer can become involved. If you want you can cut the middle man, and digitize the VHS to the computer using final cut, or iMovie. You will need a digibox to get the video signal into your computer though

11. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That is the OP. That post confused me too.

13. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member

14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Original Poster (aka YOU).
    Anyway, you're asking how to use a DVD-VHS standalone player to make DVD's of VHS tapes, and then make a DVD copy of that VHS-Copies DVD. You gotta be a lot more clear (unless English isn't your first language).

Anyway, you'll have to figure out how to copy VHS to DVD cause that doesn't involve the Mac at all. To make a copy of a DVD you'll use a program like Toast to make a copy.

15. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

He's got to be clearer even if English isn't his first language.

Bob, can you create a DVD from a VHS tape using your Sony? (Forget the Mac for now).
    If the answer is 'yes', do it twice, now you have a copy ! Or, experiment with 'Burn' (free) or buy 'Toast', to copy on the Mac.

If the answer is 'no', you will have to spend money either on a new DVD/VHS combo that will let you copy directly within the equipment or on hardware to let you connect the Sony to the Mac.

16. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member

it is a sony rmt-d240a the copy it protecting the DVD!!!

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the tape is copy protected, you won't easily be able to copy it to DVD. I am still not clear exactly what you are trying to do. It would help if you would use full sentences and explain what your problem.

18. hildred macrumors newbie

mini mac burner

yes how much memory and ram do i need to burn dvd

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Jeez, is this thread attracting all non-English speakers with mundane questions? They do have Mac support in other languages don't they?

Anyway, to answer the question. You just need a DVD burner. Hard drive and RAM really don't apply (unless your computer is 5+ years old).

20. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Play nicely, now.

To the others: it helps if you write longer posts. That way we have a better chance of figuring out what you're talking about.

21. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member

When the DVD is made the Sony makes it copy protected. Is there something I'm doing wrong in the process of copying the tape. Is there a hack to remove copy protection on the VHS? Using the sony!!!

22. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

At last you found the ability to wrote in entire sentences so we can understand !

So, seems to me there are two things you could do.
    First, since the Sony does seem to be copying to DVD, do it twice, then you'll have two DVDs.
    Second, if the VHS tapes have the write protect tab punched out, put some tape over that so it appears to be there. My DVD/VHS combo wont even copy from a tape that has that tab missing. Maybe yours will but produces a copy protected DVD if the tab is not there?

Which leads on to the third point, read the Sony manual. And fourth google for the Sony producing copy protected DVDs.