Copy dual win/mac CD ROM to USB? (ISO 9660)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benji888, Dec 20, 2013.

1. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I have a friend is having trouble with the optical drive on their Win laptop, I thought I'd just copy it to a USB thumb for him...seems simple enough...yet, I put the thing in my Mac and (of course) it only shows the Mac formatted session. I can't seem to use Disk Utility to restore the CD Rom to a USB thumb. :confused: :(

So, I'm sure there has to be a way to do this via Terminal app, yet, a search can't find this either.

I've formatted the USB thumb with 1 WinFAT partition.

Now I just need to copy the (seemingly) ISO 9660 CD ROM to the USB thumb...or at least be able to access the Win contents and copy those.

Please don't suggest purchasing an app, thanks. :) (I used to own Toast, more than a few OS X versions ago, but too old).

• Sorry if this is a stupid post, then, please show me where I can find more on Terminal app commands and how to use them. I've used it for other things, but, seems like there is no manual or how-to place anywhere, just for specific things.

Thanks! :)

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. benji888 thread starter macrumors 65816

benji888

Seriously? That setting in Apple's Disk Utility app IS FAT32 :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about that "MacFuse" it looks pretty old. But, as I said, I have no problem using Terminal...I just need to know what terms to use.

Is there some kind of manual or guide for Terminal app terms and such?

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Yes Disk utility can format a partition in FAT 32.

http://www.hgst.com/support/faqs/how-format-my-drive-use-windows-and-mac-fat32

Attached Files:

5. benji888 thread starter macrumors 65816

benji888

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Copy the Optical Disc to a Volume image to your Mac then copy that Image to the Flash Drive, or burn it to the Disk.

7. benji888 thread starter macrumors 65816

benji888

Still, that would only copy the Mac session, not the entire disk.

What I need is access to the entire disk. Mac OS X hides windows sessions on these types of discs...likewise, put it in a win machine and they only see the win session. But, I'm guessing there is a way to do this with the Terminal app

8. benji888 thread starter macrumors 65816

benji888

thanks, but, not sure if that will help. I decided it'd be faster to go see a computer repair friend that mostly works with win PCs. They put the DVD in their win computer and copied the win files to my USB flash drive. As I thought, the win session showed on their computer and not the mac session.

I would still like to learn how, if possible, I could have done this on my mac via terminal, if someone knows how.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Well you could also have installed virtual box and a windows license or Linux (Ubuntu) and give it a try.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't tried this but I suspect that it'll work:

"diskutil list" to find the disk number (eg. /dev/disk2).
    "dd if=/dev/rdiskx of=file.img bs=1m" to save it to a file.