Copy file to home folder, using sidebar not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netnothing, Oct 28, 2007.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok, can someone else test this.

I tried to copy a file from another directory to my home folder. Here's what I did:

1) Drag file to my home folder listed under Places in the Leopard sidebar
    2) Spring loaded folder opens my home folder
    3) I drag the file into the list view area main finder window, to drop it to copy
    4) The window closes but the file doesn't copy

Now, if I just drag this file and stay hovered over the sidebar link for my home folder, it copies just fine. Moving also works both ways.

It's just doesn't copy if I move over to the main part of the finder window.

This seems to happen, only for the root level of my home folder (dragging into a sub folder, like pictures works fine).

Let me know if I explained this correctly.

-Kevin

2. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

As a followup, this is only a problem with using the sidebar link to my home folder. If I drag the file onto my MacHD drive, then into /Users/myuser/ the copy works fine.

It's something about getting to my home folder using that sidebar item.

-Kevin

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

After some more testing, I'm finding that using other links like Documents, or Pictures, or even custom links....the copy doesn't work unless I drop the copy ON the link itself.

Also, this seems to be any link on the side, and trying to copy/move into the root of the link.

Anyone able to test this out?

-Kevin

4. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

5. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Anyone able to try this?

I'm finding it quite annoying as I usually drop the files in the main part of the finder window.

-Kevin

6. oogje macrumors regular

oogje

I tried it and see the same thing you see. I never noticed it because I drop the files on the sidebar link if I want them in the directory indicated by the sidebar. Although it does seem like an odd behavior for the finder, I wonder how many others hover over the link in order to open a folder to drop the payload in that folder, rather than simply drop it on the link.

Maybe I misunderstand.

7. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Finally....someone able to see the same thing. Thank you so much for trying. :D

Yeah, it's my own kind of odd behavior.....but for some reason I tend to hover over the link to have the spring loaded folder open, then drop the file in the main finder window. Not sure why I do it....but I do.

I do notice that this behavior seems to have it's scenarios. For example, when you are dragging a file on the same volume (ie. from your home folder to your documents folder), the default finder behavior is to MOVE the file. This is where the finder doesn't allow you to drop the file using this method. However, COPYING in this case works.

The opposite is true for dragging a file between volumes. The default action in this case is COPYING...which doesn't work with hovering over the sidebar link and dropping in the main window. However MOVING a file does.

Very odd to me.

Thanks again for trying. At least now I know I'm not going crazy.

-Kevin

8. oogje macrumors regular

oogje

Interesting observations, thanks. Maybe this stuff will come in handy for me sometime.

brian