Copy files from 1 drive to another: replace with only files that were modified??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Aug 12, 2017.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I have a huge iTunes library of mp3s (tens of thousands of songs). I keep a backup of it on a separate drive + I keep my music on an SD card in my car.

Since I like to keep my songs organized I'm currently in the process of editing/updating the songs' ID3 tags (adding artwork etc) + replacing some of my old mp3s that might have had lower bitrate/quality etc with new ones with better quality. However, since it's an ongoing process I'd still like to have the songs on my car's SD card up-to-date, but I don't want to copy and replace ALL the files on the card each time I wanted to update the songs on the card.

I'd like to replace the files on the SD card only with the mp3s that have been modified in any way (and replace any old songs with the new ones). How would I do that?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Using the rsync program from the command line or any of the various graphical apps that use it for their syncing function. Like Carbon Copy Cloner or DropSync to name two I use. The rysync program only replaces (actually copies only the differences in the file already there) files which have changed since it was last run and does a file checksum comparison to ensure you have bit for bit identical files.

Edit: And make sure you have the --delete option enabled to remove the old files on the destination whether doing it graphically or from command line.

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

4. tarsins macrumors 6502

tarsins