Copy files from Windows to Mac and files got renamed to lower case

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rchristai, Apr 4, 2011.

1. rchristai macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have notice a minor glitch that kinda annoy me quite a bit.

I use Remote Desktop Connection on my Mac to connect to my PC. While I was on it, I have copied files over to my Mac through an automatically-mapped network drive. Somehow, during the transfer process, all the files and folder names got rename to all lower case.

I'm not quite sure if this is Mac or Windows issue (my money on Windows though).

Anyone got idea or solution or know anyone works in the two companies that can put their nose into fixing this? Like I said, it's not a big deal but it is surely a step closer to perfection!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What format is the drive?

3. iMerik macrumors 6502

Same thing happened with me. I created SMB shares on my Mac and accessed those from my Windows PC rather than the Remote Desktop automatically mapped drives. No lowercase file renaming issues that way.

4. Skywriter123 macrumors newbie

you might like them in lower case

Spotlight, Apple's easy file search utility, seems to search case sensitive. This is bad. Thus it doesn't find folders and files that you might want to find where you have forgotten what case, upper or lower, that you used.

If the transfer of files went to all lower case Spotlight will find what you search for easier. You will love the Spotlight under these conditions.

Unix is case sensitive which can be a pain at times.

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Not true. I can search using a lower-case keyword and get results that have mixed case.

6. GGJstudios, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Spotlight searches are not case-sensitive for most OS X users. What format is the drive you're searching? If your search results are case-sensitive, you likely have used Mac OS Extended Journaled (Case-Sensitive), which isn't recommended, as it can cause problems with many apps.

7. Skywriter123 macrumors newbie

10.6 vs 10.7

Yes the case sensitive 10.6 OSX "problem" or maybe some like it, does seem to have disappeared under 10.7 OSX though spotlight still misses things now and then for some reason. :confused:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no "case sensitive problem" for OS X, regardless of which version. As I posted before, the only way your searches are producing case-sensitive results is if you've formatted your drive improperly. If searches are missing results that they should include, try re-indexing your drive: If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
    sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​

9. Skywriter123 macrumors newbie

thank you

I will go see if this works. Frequently Spotlight does not find things even after years of use. I noticed that if I entered the wrong case it missed more frequently. I will try a reindex.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Also be sure to check the format of your drive. Make sure it's not case sensitive.

11. Skywriter123 macrumors newbie

I checked

I checked, it is NOT case sensitive.