Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
Right, what i want to do is copy some files i.e CS2 & CS3 from Hard drives to DVD or CD, what would be the best way to go about this?
Do i need a third party application or can it be done within OS X ?
you need to realise ive only ever done this on windows so it's kinda virgin territory to me, thanks :rolleyes:

*Just found an article covering this, but any additional advice is greatly appreciated*

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Are these image / data files, or are they the applications themselves?

If they're the data or document files, the easiest way:

- Insert writeable DVD or CD. It will appear on the desktop. If instead you get a menu asking what you want to do, choose the option to open the disc in Finder.
- Double click to open it.
- Drag all the files you want on the CD into the window. In the bottom part of the window, it will show you how much space you have left.
- There will be a burn button (looks like the hazardous material symbol) in the upper right part of the window. Click it when you're ready to burn.
- Follow prompts.

That's it.

If you want to get fancier, you can try Disk Utility, Burn, Toast, etc. But that's the most basic way.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
thanks mkrishnan, its the applications themselves kinda back them up, but i want to keep it simple, still in virgin mode getting used to os x at the moment and enjoying every minute of it, so i kinda hope i can use the method you ran through for the apps yeah? :confused:
there are a few apps i wanna put on disc to file away, using external hd to back stuff up to but i feel a disc is safer still, thanks ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmm, then it's more complicated. Most apps on OS X are designed so that everything needed for the install is loaded into the application bundle you see in the applications folder. This means that you would just copy that application "file" and, if it were run for the first time on a new install, it would just re-create its preference files and so on, and maybe ask you to provide your license key again. Even Office works that way. Notably, iLife doesn't work that way. Neither do CS2/3. They install a lot of stuff directly into the /library folder that is harder to explain. So you cannot just copy the app bundle to make a backup.

What is your situation? You own this software legally, right? Do you not have install discs? Why not? If you do have install discs, but you want to make a copy of your "virgin" hard drive so you can roll back to it, the absolute best way is to get an external firewire or USB hard drive and use something like SuperDuper to backup the entire HD.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
I have the discs/serials, but the wife being the housemaker she is decided to 'spring clean' my office and thought a pile of papers and discs that i left on the floor were just 'old stuff for storage or throwing out' and hopefully they are in a box in the cellar amongst loads of boxes (we not long moved house), so i was thinking along the lines of 'Future proofing for her next spring clean session' can i copy certain apps on the HD to disc and file in a seperate disc box, just incase she tries to do anymore housework, bless her little cotton socks :rolleyes:
i just want it on disc incase i need to re-install and can't find the originals (if she can ever find them) but ive got copies of the serial on a word doc on a seperate drive. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.