Copy files to Windows FAT32 partition???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Classick, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Classick macrumors newbie

I just set up Boot Camp, and set my Windows partition to 32gb. After installing "that other OS" and a few other programs, I had about 20+gb left to toy with.

While in Windows, I tried transferring over a 7.5GB file using HFSexplorer but it kept saying I didn't have enough hard disk space.

Anyways, is there any way to copy files into the Windows partition while running Mac OS? I restored my HD back to one partition so I can repartition into NTFS or FAT32 (Which it what it was in).

If there are any links to walkthroughs that could help my general situation feel free to provide some links.

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Classick thread starter macrumors newbie

I kept getting an error message.

Error Code: 0.

Didn't really give me any specific details.

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

FAT32 can only support a maximum file size of 4GB. If you want to use larger files you are going to have to switch to NTFS.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Quite true a 7.5 GB file isn't going to work on FAT32.

6. Classick thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that explains everything.

Now if I format the partition as NTFS, how would I copy the files over? It wouldn't be drag and drop I'm assuming.

I really wish I had an 8GB flash drive. It'd make everything so much easier.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'll be able to use HFSExplorer to copy over the file then.

An 8 GB flash drive is only going to be 7.45 GB as well. You'd have to use HFS+ or NTFS once again too.

8. Classick thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice. I'll give this a try- and pray that it works. Thanks for all the help guys.

9. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Assuming you are booted into a stock install of Mac OS X, you will have read-only access to NTFS drives out of the box. If you install NTFS-3G you will get read/write access to any NTFS drive but it will be quite a bit slower (4-5MB/s). As for converting the drive to NTFS, check out this Microsoft technote.