Copy Files While Ignoring Errors

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AusMacFan, Mar 12, 2012.

1. AusMacFan macrumors member

Hi there.
    So my external HDD has been playing up lately; i was using it as an external itunes folder as well as some general storage. However, it began to give me errors when trying to read/write files. My first instinct was to make sure my itunes folder is safe, but while trying to make a local copy of it, it wouldn't complete the process, having recurring errors on certain files.

After calling up and asking apple services, they got me to try a few different things with HDD, but now it has gotten to the point where whenever I try to copy the folder, it stops immediately with this error:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “.DS_Store” can’t be read or written.
    (Error code -36)

So now I just want to find a way to copy the folder while ignoring errors. The worst case scenario is that I lose my itunes library along with everything else off that HDD, so naturally I just want to secure those files. How do I go about copying the folder while ignoring errors? Some searching around the internet has led me to the ditto feature in terminal, but I can't seem to get this to work.

Any help would be much appericated :)

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Make hidden files visible and then delete the .ds_store file. Then try copying.
    Or, make hidden files visible, select everything, then unselect .ds_store, then copy/paste.

3. AusMacFan thread starter macrumors member

This is essentially what the apple guy told me, and i tried it again even now, but it won't work at all. If I try to delete the .ds_store it gives me an error and won't let me continue. If I try to copy everything but the .ds_store the copying starts, but then stops abruptly and finder closes.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Then you are probably into recovery software. You can google for free stuff but Data Rescue (paid) gets the best write ups. You'll have to pay but consider that a fair swap for not bothering with backups :D