copy folders between apple mail email accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by borisbastos, Jun 18, 2014.

1. borisbastos macrumors newbie

hi,

i would like to copy all my folders i have in one emailaccount in apple mail to another. is this possible?

thx

2. Mugwumper macrumors regular

More info, please?

What kind of email account: POP or IMAP? Which provider: Gmail, Yahoo, Comcast . . .

What is your ultimate goal? Are you thinking of deleting the original email account?

Are you really meaning "folders" or the just messages within a folder? For example, I have lots of emails in my Comcast POP "folder" in Mail app, but I don't think I could copy them to my Gmail IMAP account. What I have done is to create different Archive folders under "On My Mac" and just move messages into there to get them out of an inbox. Then I can delete them or add new ones as needed.

Not sure if this is helpful - let us know what you're aiming to do . . .

3. borisbastos thread starter macrumors newbie

it's an IMAP account provided by Gmail.
    Actually i'm not sure if what i ask is needed

I'll explain:
    i previously transferred a domainname from one host to another but the emailservices were not transferred out. So my client stopped recieving mails.
    I then created a new emailaccount with the same emailaddress as the one that was coupled to the old host. MX records point to that new emailaddress and mails are coming in there. But i need the mails to come into the 'old' emailaccount.

So my question is actually: in apple mail (and also in gmail to which it is coupled) can i just change the account settings (incoming and outgoing mail server) of the 'old' emailaddress to the new. Would that solve my problem? Because i was thinking of copying all the folders in that old emailaddress to the newly created one but i'm thinking that's not necessary

ONLY CONCERN: my client can not loose all her old emails!

Thx very much for your help, i appreciate it!

4. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Sorry, no help . . .

I've not been that successful with Gmail IMAP, so I've actually reverted to POP for my Gmail accounts.

What you describe sounds right, but I'm by no means a Mail expert.

Do you still have access to the old email messages? My safety net was always to copy (or move) all messages to a safe place on my local system before futzing with any account settings or making new accounts. That way, if anything went bad, I always had the messages locally. This also gives me time to play with various settings to work out any kinks before letting it go live.

Sorry . . .