Copy from WinWord, Paste to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac In School, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I spend most of my life opening Word documents created by others in Windows, copying content, and pasting it into Dreamweaver on my Mac.

I notice that there are a few special characters that seem to be different on Windows than they are on Mac. Quotes "" are the example I run across most frequently. Have a look at this image:

[​IMG]

The quotes on the first line are what they look like when I open a file created in Windows. The quotes on the second line are what they look like if I just type them on my Mac.

This creates problems for me. Dreamweaver (Mac) doesn't seem to recognize those created in Windows as legit quotes. I get really funky display when I paste them into Dreamweaver (source view) and upload them to the Web.

Anybody know of a way to fix this issue? I do find/replace when I open the file... When I remember. Hopefully there's a better solution than that.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Microsoft's Windows-based word processor has many problems, but this is not one of them. You are talking about Smart Quotes. The feature works just fine in the version of WinWord that I use.

Your problem is not WinWord documents, it is the WinWord users creating those documents. The average WinWord user knows as much about typography as a hog knows about Sunday. You will just have to budget time to properly format the problematic documents before you use them.