Copy from WinWord, Paste to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac In School, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Jun 21, 2007
    I spend most of my life opening Word documents created by others in Windows, copying content, and pasting it into Dreamweaver on my Mac.

I notice that there are a few special characters that seem to be different on Windows than they are on Mac. Quotes "" are the example I run across most frequently. Have a look at this image:

The quotes on the first line are what they look like when I open a file created in Windows. The quotes on the second line are what they look like if I just type them on my Mac.

This creates problems for me. Dreamweaver (Mac) doesn't seem to recognize those created in Windows as legit quotes. I get really funky display when I paste them into Dreamweaver (source view) and upload them to the Web.

Anybody know of a way to fix this issue? I do find/replace when I open the file... When I remember. Hopefully there's a better solution than that.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Microsoft's Windows-based word processor has many problems, but this is not one of them. You are talking about Smart Quotes. The feature works just fine in the version of WinWord that I use.

Your problem is not WinWord documents, it is the WinWord users creating those documents. The average WinWord user knows as much about typography as a hog knows about Sunday. You will just have to budget time to properly format the problematic documents before you use them.