Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I have a PowerMac G5 and an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I have all my info cloned on the external drive including OS 10.4.2. The PowerMac only has 10.3.9 and I can't find my Tiger DVD. The external will not work as a bootable HD for some reason even tho it was set to be bootable by Carbon Copy Cloner. Is there a program that will allow me to make an exact copy of that drive to the drive in the PM G5? For example, a program that does the copy before the OS boots so I can overwrite it. I can't make the external drive internal becuase it is ATA/133 and the other drive is SATA. Got any ideas or any ideas on how to make the external drive bootable? Thanks all.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You can only boot from firewire drives. You can purchase a firewire enclosure and swap out the HDD from the USB enclosure. Not sure if that'll do the trick though.

If not, you can try CCC from the firewire external to the internal, once you've made the switch over to firewire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.