Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boatingcow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Not the ideal situation but here goes!

In preparation to upgrade from an iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4s, I backed-up the old iPhone using iTunes in the normal way. Now, before the new phone arrived, the computer holding the backup crashed and wont boot up! I have been able to access the hard disc as a slave device and I can see various files, including where the iPhone backup files were kept.

Does anyone know the best way to copy the backup files from the iPhone 3GS on the old hard disc to a new computer and restore that to a new iPhone? Is it a simple case of copying the files from the MobileSync folder???

(the backup computer was Windows XP if that makes a difference - the new computer will probably be Windows 7)

Cheers!

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I don't use iTunes on Windows. But give this a try.
- install iTunes in new pc,
- copy the entire fold from old pc to new
- copy the iPhone backup file over
- connect and sync phone to itunes in new pc

lhnguyen

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
Same problem!

I need assistance on this as well. I have moved the back up from my computer to my laptop, in the same file where the back up was stored; but when I try to restore my iPhone on iTunes, my file doesn't show up.

Please help! :(

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
I don't use iTunes on Windows. But give this a try.
- install iTunes in new pc,
- copy the entire fold from old pc to new
- copy the iPhone backup file over
- connect and sync phone to itunes in new pc

That's my thoughts too. Reply back OP and let me know if that worked.

lhnguyen

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
I have done all these steps and placed the back up file to the file location where it should be; but when I open iTunes and try to restore it, it doesn't show up

aj.ilover04

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
Not the ideal situation but here goes!

In preparation to upgrade from an iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4s, I backed-up the old iPhone using iTunes in the normal way. Now, before the new phone arrived, the computer holding the backup crashed and wont boot up! I have been able to access the hard disc as a slave device and I can see various files, including where the iPhone backup files were kept.

Does anyone know the best way to copy the backup files from the iPhone 3GS on the old hard disc to a new computer and restore that to a new iPhone? Is it a simple case of copying the files from the MobileSync folder???

(the backup computer was Windows XP if that makes a difference - the new computer will probably be Windows 7)

Cheers!

You can just backup again on the new PC and use that backup to restore to the new iPhone. But mind you, your 3GS should have same iOS version when the file is being backed up to the 4S iOS version when it gets the files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.