Copy items to iPhoto and iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lbeck, Nov 3, 2010.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

In preferences for iTunes and iPhoto you have the option to copy items to the applications or not when importing. Obviously if you copy them when importing then you will take up more hard drive space since you will now have the items in two locations.

Is there an advantage to copying items instead of not? I did have it set up to copy items (defaults that way) but would prefer to save hard drive space.

Whats are your preferences and why?

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

why two locations ?

assuming you have copy files to ... when adding to library checked in preferences > advanced, iTunes will copy files you add to the iTunes music (or media) folder. when done, you can delete the original files from your HD.

although i don't use iPhoto as extensively as iTunes, i expect it will be similar with iPhoto

you can run your complete iTunes library from an external HD. simply copy the entire iTunes folder (not just the iTunes music folder) to an external, hold option while launching iTunes and, when prompted, click on choose library and select the iTunes folder you moved to the external. when satisfied that all works as expected, you can delete the content from you local iTunes music folder.

or, you can split your iTunes library across various drives. for example, you could have all your music locally, keep movies on external HD (A) and your TV shows on external HD (B).

if you want to move selected content to another location, simply do this

(a) iTunes > preferences > advanced. temporarily point iTunes media folder location to e.g. external (A)

(b) select (highlight) e.g. the movies in iTunes, right-click (or ctrl-click) and choose consolidate files from the pop-up menu. this will copy the selection to the external. when done, you can delete the original files from <MacintoshHD>/users/<yourname>/music/iTunes/iTunes music/movies to free up space on your internal HD.

repeat to move you TV shows to external (B)

(c) point iTunes media folder location back to your local iTunes folder if you want to add music to your internal iTunes folder.

with content on one or more external HD(s), you need to make sure they are mounted on your desktop before you launch iTunes.

AFAIK, you cannot split your iPhoto library but you certainly can move it to another location. find the instructions in this support article.

3. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Thanks for the response. It would stay two locations because I dont use iPhoto for my main photo application. I use Photoshop and Camera Raw. The only images I put into iPhoto are ones that I want on my iDevices and Apple TV, they have already been fully edited with Camera Raw/PS.

So because of that, its best for me to leave "copy items to iPhoto" unchecked since I keep my photos in another main location.

I just wanted to know if there were any issue with doing that. Thanks.

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

nah, as long as the drive(s) holding the content are mounted before launching the app, it should be fine.

example:

i rip my CDs to apple lossless using a 3rd party app. the files are copied to an external HD. i have the copy ... option enabled in the preferences > advanced.

i then option-drag the lossless files into an open iTunes window so iTunes indexes the path to the location of the files but doesn't copy them physically to the main library.

if you have the copy ... option disabled, just drag the content.