Copy Mavericks installer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vmachiel, Nov 13, 2013.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Hi Forum,

So a friend of mine want to upgrade here Macbook from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. Her internet connection is really slow since she lives in the middle of nowhere basically so I was wondering: Could I redownload the Mavericks installer at home, put it on a USB and put it on her Machine? I have a different model than she does, and we don't want a clean install so no bootable usb methods right?

Thanks.

2. TRMN8R macrumors newbie

I've done this many times for clients and friends. Never had any issues, even on a 2008 MBP...

3. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok great thanks!

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

You can either put it onto a USB flashdrive or burn it to a dual-layer DVD.

There is a freeware app called "Diskmaker X" that can be used to create a _bootable_ flashdrive with Mavericks.

I found that if I tried to install Mavericks from a disk image, the installer balked, stating that it could not do its job on a write-protected or locked volume (such as a .dmg file or DVD). Your friend may need to copy the entire installer .dmg to her hard drive, then mount it, and then access the installer that way. Just something to be aware of.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I went the diskmaker route and it worked well.

Note there is a glitch that a few have found but would be easy to think it had gone wrong and prematurely abandon, when you get to the last part of the install off the USB it says something like "about 1 second to go" and then it seemingly hangs. DOnt give up, after between 10 and 20 minutes it finishes. So dont pull the plug thinking its hung.

EDIT: I followed these instructions. http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/use-diskmaker-x-create-bootable-os-x-mavericks-usb-just-clicks