Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JosCiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Dear experts,

This is a topic for those with a good brain... My problem is very long and very hard to solve so i'm going to try to explain it to you guys. So as you noticed in the subject it's about copying multiple mails to a memory stick. But i currently have the problem that it's always getting back to the mail map instead of the USB. I've tried to search in the library and that is the best solution until now! But here is the hard part of my problem... I work with Gmail maps so the library won't find the e-mail(boxes/maps). Another solution that i found is wich that you save the mails as an .rtf file. But i don't won't them(the e-mails) to be in one file
Sfb7BgX.png

. But each e-mail in separate files
qp2UReK.png
Or if it's possible to just separate them without the .eml? So guys i think you have a huge problem let's start thinking!

Thanks anyway!

Greets

Josip

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think I understand what you want here: A copy of each individual email saved to, say, a RTFD document (RTF with attachments), preserving the appearance if at all possible. Fortunately, this IS doable, but the solution requires a bit of work. One way to approach this kind of problem is with AppleScript, which I recommend if you're going to need to do this often. Ideally, the script would check to see if Mail.app is open and at least one email is selected, prompt you for a folder to save the results to, then do its thing.

If you do not need the text to be searchable, there is a relatively simple solution: Use Command+Shift+4, drag the crosshairs over what you want captured, then move/rename the resulting screen shot file. Repeat as many times as needed.

If, on the other hand, you DO wish to have searchable text preserved, the problem becomes harder but still solvable. If you don't want to use the AppleScript approach, you could print the emails as PDFs. That's a very simple way to get the contents in a way you can use. Let me know if the AppleScript solution interests you.

JosCiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Thank you very much for you help and yes i'm interested in the applescript.
But if it's a help for you: i need certain emails from a dossier (who are collected in a folder) to get on a USB... It's for the dossiers who are 'closed' but if the file must 'reopen' i need to put/see the e-mails back.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I apologize for not being able to get to this sooner - I am currently without a Mac and away from home at a conference. I still want to help though ;)

JosCiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Ah ok sorry my bad ;) but have you read THE otter thread? It's about your script so maybe post it there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.