Copy my User folder back to Users?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OSMac, Nov 4, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

I had moved my user folder to another drive,
    now I want to copy it back to the main OSX drive.

I dont seem to be able to create a folder in the Users directory,
    also tried to drag and drop, it prompted for a password
    but the copy showed no progress?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I had moved my user folder to another drive,
    now I want to copy it back to the main OSX drive.
    I dont seem to be able to create a folder in the Users directory,
    also tried to drag and drop, it prompted for a password
    but the copy showed no progress?"

I'm certainly not an expert on how OS X handles accounts, but I don't believe the "user account" folders in the "Users" folder can be created without some special handling or techniques. They are not "simple, ordinary" folders.

By introducing a new user folder in the Users folder, you are, in effect, trying to create a "new account" and the OS probably requires this be done through "normal channels".

Before going further, could "Migration Assistant" be used for such a move? Have you tried that?

If Migration Assistant can't do the job, here's what I would do in your situation:
    1. Create an ENTIRELY NEW user account (using the proper system preference pane in System Preferences). You will need to give it a username the same or similar (try "same" first, if that doesn't work, try similar) to the one you currently use. Same goes for the password.
    2. Give the new account the same access privileges as you currently have (I will guess "administrator")
    3. Once the new (and "empty") account has been created, you will have to do some "manual moving". Although you cannot simply move an entire "user folder" into the Users folder, you CAN copy individual files. You may even be able to copy full folders, such as "Music", "Pictures", etc.
    4. Try this "copying sequence" first:
    - Applications
    - Documents
    - Movies
    - Music
    - Pictures
    I suggest having two windows open, one for, say, the Music folder of the new account, and one for the old account. Then select everything in the old account, and drag and drop into the new account. Copying may take a while, but when finished, everything should be there.

And so on and so forth for the other folders.

IMPORTANT:
    The above procedure may not work with everything in the "Library" folder. I would suggest copying what "is copyable" from that folder, being patient with paper and pencil in-hand.

It's possible that there are much easier ways by which to do this (either with Migration Assistant or by using the Terminal app). Hopefully, others will respond.

However, I have personally used the procedure described above to "manually move" the _contents_ of one account to another one. Note that I did not "move" the account itself -- only the contents. It worked for me.

I guess the moral of the story is that -- like trying to fool Mother Nature -- it's "not nice" to try to move your accounts to locations other than where OS X believes they should reside....

3. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that, had hoped for a easier way.

I guess I could just copy the current users directory
    to another location on the main drive then point the OS to it,
    just like I did when I moved it to a external drive?