Copy my Xbox 360 Game?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by TimJim, Dec 12, 2007.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I have a Xbox 360 and as you know, games are pretty expensive. I've scratched discs in the past and i was wondering if it was legal to make a copy of some of my games, make an image of it, and burn it to a DVD-DL.

Is there any programs that do this and again is this legal or breaking any agreements?

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You can try, but the XBox 360'll refuse to play it unless you've hacked the system :)

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

how do you do that?

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I don't think we can tell you much (even this may be too much), but look in the direction of xbox-scene.com

Be warned, though - you may well end up getting your console banned from Live (I think the second gen firmwares beat the method, but I've a feeling MS have since found a way to crack that, so gen 3 are on their way no doubt...)

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Modchips. They're expensive, require quite a bit of technical knowledge, are risky to your hardware, void your warranty and probably will get you banned from XBox Live.

Have fun with it. :D

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Are they modchipped? I'm pretty sure ours was just "flashed" or something like that.

Didn't know how to copy games though so it was never put into full use.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So the solution is to buy another 360 to play on live, but then you wont be able to use your backups which makes the whole thing pointless.

Then you have to pay to get your current 360 modded, have to buy a specific PC CD/DVD Rom drive to rip your discs, oh and you can't do that on a mac yet I believe, so you will still need a pc. You will need to flash that DVD's drive, you will have to go through a load of other apps to finally get your disc out and then back onto disc.

Then you are going to have to buy the still expensive DVD-DL's and take the chance that you don't screw up the laser on your drive, as often reported many users doing so - there 360's eventually can not read 'any' disc.

The real solution and one that is 100% LEGAL

I believe most publishers will issue replacement disc's for scratched ones for a nominal fee ($10)

Hence unless you plan to scratch 40+ disc's you are financially more viable to just send your scratched disc back to the publisher with their replacement fee.

8. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

So even if i make an exact copy Microsoft can detect it and ban me from live?

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

pretty much. BeT to try ad treat those discs in as good of shape as you can and you won't need those backups ... Unless some more sinister motivations are the reason ;-)

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Technically you can not make an exact backup! :rolleyes: How many 360 games that you go and buy come on a + or -DL ? ;)

Also M$ in order to play the game your hardware has to be modified, which is what Microsoft detect.

Don''t waste your time unless as Sikkinixx says " some more sinister motivations are the reason ;-) "

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know how it all works on 360, but I assume it's similar to PS2 where there is a special code pressed into the inner hub of the DVD. Your standard DVD writer can't read from or write to that area, so the PS2 can immediately tell an original DVD from a copied one.