copy of my User folder in my User folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by monta17, Feb 10, 2015.

1. monta17 macrumors member

I tried to empty the trash and it went along fine for a while, then I started getting a lot of items I didn't recognize that it said it couldn't trash, so I clicked skip each time this happened. It was taking a long time and so I clicked to stop emptying the trash. The empty trash locked up and couldn't get it to go away. So I did a Repair Permissions. That made the Empty Trash window go away. However, it put a few random items in the Trash window:
    Library Folder including:

Frameworks folder including:QuickTime.framework, Ruby.framework, ScriptingBridge.framework

PreferencePanes folder including: Profiles.prefPane

PrivateFramewords folder including: Backup.framework, FinderKit.framework,

Mail.framework, OpenDirectoryConfig.framework, ScreenReader.framework, WebInspectorUI.framework

QuickTime folder including: QuickTime3GPP.component

ScreenReader folder including: BrailleDriver

So, I shut down and started up again and now there is a duplicate of my User Folder INSDE my User Folder.
    Help!!!

2. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Is there a copy of your User Folder inside the copy of your User Folder inside the copy of your User Folder inside the copy of your User Folder inside the copy of your User Folder inside the copy of your User Folder...?

(This could point to simply a link to the user folder placed in the user folder, rather than actual copies.)

3. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

Yes! I did finally determine that those are aliases. Still have no idea how the came into being, which is a little disturbing, but at least that is solved.

Any Ideas about how all those other folders ended up in the trash and what to do about them?

Thanks!

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Can you right click on them / "Put back" ?

5. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

No, I do not have any kind of "put it back" type option. I do know where some of them came from because although the folder that I listed and the items inside were in the trash, that folder still exists in the library (with other items in it that did not end up in the trash. For example in the case of :

[Frameworks folder including:QuickTime.framework, Ruby.framework, ScriptingBridge.framework]
    I still have the "Frameworks" folder in the Library with some other items in it (just not the ones mentioned) So I could put them back (just don't know if I should or if for some reason they are supposed to be trashed)

However in the case of :

[PrivateFramewords folder including: Backup.framework, FinderKit.framework]
    I do not have a PrivateFrameworks folder in either my user Library nor my main Library.

!. Actually the FrameWorks and PreferencePanes folders exist in BOTH Libraries.(so I wouldn't know which one to put them in)
    2. The QuickTime folder exists in my Mac HD Library folder only.
    3. But the PrivateFrameworks Folder and the ScreenReader Folders do not exist in either Library (so I wouldn't know where to put them)

Are these items all still needed with Yosemite? Could they have possibly been put into trash during an update? I don't know whether to try and put them back or just store a copy of them somewhere. Yikes! what a mess!

Thanks for any help.

6. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

Do you have any external drives connected, eg a Time Machine backup drive?

Do the files stay visible within your trash if you disconnect those drives?

7. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

I do have an external drive connected that is being used for Time Machine. However, I took those those folders (including the items within) out of the trash and put them in a folder on my desktop and am waiting to see if something isn't functioning correctly before I try and just putting them back somewhere that I am not sure of. Maybe not a good idea, but I didn't know what else to do. So I can't answer your question regarding if they still show up in the trash when the drive is not connected.
    However, yesterday there was just one item in the trash --- it was an alias of my user folder (the real user folder which, of course, holds EVERYTHING I have). Since it said it was an alias, and had a file size of next to nothing, I took a deep breath and emptied the trash. Everything is still there. Whew!