Copy Old Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by woody70, Nov 17, 2014.

1. woody70 macrumors newbie

New to mac, searched forum without success. If this has already been discussed please forgive and point me there. My problem: old Apple TV, hard drive is completely full and it won't boot up completely. Tries to boot, then gets stuck in reboot cycle. I have bought newest Apple TV that will replace the old one. I want to pull hard drive from old one, put it in an external usb enclosure and copy contents (lots of movies on there) to iTunes on Windows PC (Windows 8). I don't have access to an Apple computer either. How can I do this? Thank you and my kids thank you if I can get this to work!

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

3. woody70 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help. ordered an adapter and software. will let you know how it turns out.

4. woody70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Adapter came in and I installed software. I'm copying "media" folder from Apple TV hard drive over to Windows desktop. Where exactly do I place the "media" folder within the iTunes folders so it will pick it up and process it?

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Dunno how's it on Windows. On OS X there's a folder named Automatically Add to iTunes which iTunes does monitor.
    But I usually import the folder into iTunes either via drag&drop or Add to Library command in File menu.

6. woody70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's what I did and it worked. Now I have a bazillion duplicates, but I have a program that is taking care of that now. Thanks for all your help.