"Copy" OS X Install to another HDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Mar 7, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Now that I have a SATA 160GB HDD, I want to use it in my MDD via SATA to IDE adaptor. Currently my MDD has a 60GB HDD as the OS X drive, (that i put in because the MDD came with a 60GB HDD). I have had this install on the HDD since i got the Mac and put the drive in. I want something faster than Carbon Copy Cloner, Is it possible to simply "Copy" the files and folders on the 60GB HDD to the 160GB HDD and have it boot and work?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

OS 9: Yes

OS X:

There a lot of "hidden" files that you need to be sure you get, and be sure you repair the permissions afterwards. Carbon Copy Cloner is a lot easier, and all said and done probably faster.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

As above, attempting to just drag-copy OS X from one disk to another will leave you with an unbootable system. You won't even be able to get to a point where it's possible to repair permissions. Just use Disk Utility or CCC and wait it out.

4. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Thanks for the quick replies. Just one more thing before i use DU (as i do not have CCC installed)

How to i create a "image" of the 60GB HDD without making the image include the "free space" of the drive? I want to make a image of JUST the data on the drive not the image of the entire drive (57GB).

5. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Just download CCC, it's free, only takes a minute to install and it'll make your life a lot easier.

6. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Is there any REAL benefits of Leopard over Tiger? every single thing i do on my Mac's can be done using Tiger, Is there any ACTUAL benefits of using Leopard over Tiger?

7. weckart macrumors 68040

Software compatibility for one. Time Machine is another. Lots of under the hood improvements etc. If you don't need it, you don't need it.

I prefer SuperDuper over CCC. It has never failed me, whereas CCC has occasionally messed up.

8. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

isn't 90% of PPC software 10.4 or later?

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Dunno who actually counted the 90% or what store you can set by that but plenty needs Leopard or you get stuck with earlier versions.

If you have to ask why you need Leopard then the chances are you don't need it. I run Tiger on most of my PPC hardware because it is lighter on resources. The stuff I cannot run because it needs Leopard would be better served by better hardware.

10. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Select the volume and click "New Image". Choose "compressed".

11. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Thanks for the advice all. I have used CCC and cloned the 60GB HDD to the 160GB SATA. Worked perfect :) Currently I am cloning the 60GB HDD to the 160GB IDE drive for use in my eMac. Other than the Mac locking up with the HDD (I assume its my cheapo SATA to IDE adaptor) It's perfect. I do plan to get a Sil3112 SATA card either on eBay, Amazon or anyone on here (just got offered a 1.25CPU for $25) But with how cheap Sil3112 cards are I'll get one within the next few months.