Copy out of Dashboard Calculator

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eharley, Feb 17, 2009.

1. eharley macrumors newbie

I finally go around to upgrading to 10.5 from 10.4

One thing that struck me was that I could no longer copy to the clipboard the result of the computation in the Dashboard's calculator widget. Something I could do under 10.4

I can paste into it. I can copy/paste/cut in the Stickies application. But I can't copy out of the Calculator.

I opened up the .html and .js files for the widget and yes there is a handler for the copy event but its not getting invoked.

Can anyone verify this behavior on their computers? Perhaps there is something wrong with mine.

2. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

3. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

One thing that you can do is open Spotlight, type your equation (like 2+5), and it will give you the answer. I'm not on my Mac right now so I'm not sure as to if you can copy/paste in or out of Spotlight.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can copy results from Calculator.app, FWIW.

5. eharley thread starter macrumors newbie

So I found a fix. It looks like the oncopy handler is broken. So I opened up Calculator.html and added a handler for onbeforecopy which calls the same function, docopy().

Here's the new body tag

Code:
    <body onbeforecopy='docopy(event);' oncut='docut(event);' oncopy='docopy(event);' onpaste='dopaste(event);'>

6. lunar macrumors newbie

Awesome! eharley, thanks for posting this fix. It worked wonderfully.

If anyone is wondering, widget HTML is stored in HD>Library>Widgets and then you'll have to right click and "show package contents" on the widget you want to edit.