Copy over Final Cut Studio to new mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Magrathea, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Magrathea macrumors regular

I've just been loaned a MBP 2.6 Ghz (fresh install of SL) and I've decided to set it up as a dedicated video editing machine. Assuming the current install of FCP on my current, similar MCP (running Leopard) machine is able to be run on Snow Leopard I simply want to drag all of Final Cut Studios 2s apps over to the new machine. I'm also aware that only one copy of the software can be running on the network at any one time & dodgy licensing issues etc. Also, using migration assistant is out as it's an all or nothing process and I'm not about to clutter my brand new SL install with all the clutter/***** that I have on my current machine:)

So what's the easiest way to copy over all the Final Cut Studio files from my current MBP to the other machine; I'm not about to do a fresh install from DVDs that takes literally hours! I have dragged each of the apps, FCP, Motion etc into App Zapper to see all the files they are using and plan to simply copy each file to my dedicated video machine.

(And yes, I'd love to have a Power Mac to do video editing on - $$$ - and buying another $1200 FCS just for me to use, forget it. The FCS upgrade for $299 seems like a rip off for the limited set of new features it offers!! - how about GPU encoding Steve .....!!)

Cheers

2. Magrathea thread starter macrumors regular

:(

I tried to copy over FCP and some of it's associated files but got an error message about incompatibility, forgot the exact message so I bit the old bullet and did a fresh install from DVDs. I was also asked to install Rosetta on inserting the

Note, it helps to have a fast external FW DVD drive when doing an install of this magnitude as you're literally installing 70 gigs of data / 8 DVDs! Still took several hours.

Next time I'll make images of the DVDs and do a HD install.

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I don't believe this will work. FCS plants and modifies files all over your computer. It should be re-installed on the new machine.

You might be able to restore it from a Time Machine backup, in which case you'll just be prompted for the serial number again.

4. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

32-bit or 64-bit

Is the current finalcut studios is 32-Bit or 64-bit I keep hearing rumors that the next update to finalcut will be 64-bit should I wait for the 64-bit version of finalcut?

5. Magrathea thread starter macrumors regular

I think FCP 7 is still 32 bit. FCP is getting a little long in the tooth now and a lot of folks are eyeing Adobe Premier. Come one Apple, get your finger out of your bottom!!