copy paste function does not work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Sossity, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

Sossity macrumors 6502a

I am trying to copy some content between 2 external hard drives, & I cannot get finder or total finder to copy anything from hard drive a to hard drive b.

HELP! what is wrong?

edit; I think I know what is wrong, I forgot that one of the external hard drives is ntfs, & mac os cannot write to it.

2. angelsguardian macrumors regular

Permissions I should think if works elsewhere.

3. simsaladimbamba

Do you know, what format the HDD uses you want to copy to? If not, right click on the actual HDD in Finder, select GET INFO and look for the text right to "Format:".
    Do you also remember the file systems FAQ I posted in one of your previous threads?
    In short, FAT32 (MS-DOS Filesystem) can be written to and read from in Mac OS X and Windows, HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) can be only read and written to in Mac OS X, unless you buy MacDrive to have that kind of access in Windows too, NTFS can be read in Windows and Mac OS X and it can only be written to in Windows, as you need a thirdparty addon for Mac OS X to do the same.

PS: You can have an avatar now, if you are interested in such things.

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I looked at the drive in get info, I realized what was wrong, it is ntfs, I know mac can only read this, I was tired, & it was late & I forgot, I have been meaning to get ntfs for mac, but have been putting it off due to budget.

thanks for the info.

5. simsaladimbamba

Here is a free one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15213382&postcount=2