Copy & Paste, Google Chrome, and Trash all not working properly.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Alaskanese, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Alaskanese macrumors newbie

I am on OSX 10.5.8. I cannot copy or paste anywhere on my Macbook, Google Chrome is saying 'Aw Snap!" every time I open it, and I can't drag files out of the Trash. All of these problems occured to me at the same time. Another problem is that MacKeeper will use around 100 CPU but it won't open all the way, it just has the dot underneath the icon.

I read somewhere that I should repair the permissions of the hard drive I'm on with Disk Utiity, but I'm not sure if that will mess up my computer or something.

Got any tips?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried restarting your computer? Repairing permissions only affects certain situations. It's not a "cure all".

3. Alaskanese thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already restarted my computer.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I see you added this. I strongly recommend you uninstall MacKeeper. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

To completely remove MacKeeper, follow the instructions in the following link, using "MacKeeper", "zeobit" and "antivirus" as your search terms.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

After you have uninstalled MacKeeper, restart your Mac again.

5. Alaskanese thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I will try that and see how it goes.

6. Alaskanese thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted all of the MacKeeper files by your instructions, but could not empty the trash until I went on Activity Monitor and quit a hidden process called Anti Virus.

Google Chrome, Copy & Paste, and Drag & Drop still don't work.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep, that was step #1 of those removal instructions.

Try resetting your home directory permissions:
    1. Boot from the Mac OS X Install Disc:
      1. Insert the disc.
      2. Shut down the computer.
      3. Turn it on again whilst holding down the C key.
        You can let go when you see a spinning dial.
    2. Click through the menus until you after you’ve accepted a license agreement.
    3. Click on your main hard drive.
    4. In the dropdown box under “Select the user account” make sure to select your username.
    5. Underneath where it says “Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs”, click the Reset button.
    6. Press cmd + Q to Quit the Reset Password application. Press it again if you have a Terminal open.
    7. Click Mac OS X Installer in the top left and click Quit Mac OS X Installer.
    8. Click the Startup Disk button.
    9. Click on your main hard drive and click the Restart button.

8. Alaskanese thread starter macrumors newbie

Will this remove any of the media files on my Mac, such as my iTunes library?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it only changes permissions. It will not remove any apps or user files or preference settings.