Copy purchased movies to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bristleworm, Dec 7, 2010.

1. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Hi there. I'm having a really strange problem and hope that someone here might be able to help.

Here's the setup:
    iMac with latest versions of OSX and iTunes, iPhone 3GS 16GB with iOS 4.2 installed.

And here's the problem:
    I recently bought Inception on the iTunes store. Now when I try to sync it to the iPhone I get this error: ""Inception" was not copied to the iPhone "Foxi" because it cannot be played on this iPhone."

I googled and the only advise I could find was to "create an iPhone version of the movie". But this option is not selectable.

Oh and there's also enough free space on the iPhone. And I'm having this problem not only with Inception, but also with other movies from the iTunes store.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Does it play OK within iTunes? The best thing to do would be to send an e-mail to the iTunes support team as it could be an issue with the movie itself

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I would try to convert it using Handbrake or another like program. There are presets you can use that will format it for your iPhone.

4. riko macrumors regular

Is Inception in HD? if so the 3Gs can only play SD video. According to this link you should have got 2 downloads, an HD version and an SD version.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1497

5. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

this is more than likeley the problem

6. bristleworm thread starter macrumors 6502

bristleworm

no it's not HD. i bought it on my imac in the german itunes store, where it's only available in SD. So that's not the problem.

Converting it won't work either, as the file has DRM.

Thanks for your suggestions. Hope somebody will find a solution. If I find one myself, I'll post it here as well.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Is your phone logged into the same iTunes store account as the computer is? Go check, it might have gotten off somehow.

My friend charged his phone on my computer and it somehow logged his phone into MY account so he had to manually log out (on the phone) and log back in before it would play nice with his own computer.

8. bristleworm thread starter macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Good idea, but… I just checked. My iPhone is signed into the same store account.
    As I have not other idea, I'm currently reinstalling iOS 4.2 on my phone although I don't believe this will help.

And btw, as much as I love Apple, I think it's really not customer friendly to offer support for things like this only to people that have bought AppleCare. Of course I could contact iTunes Store Support but I don't think they'd be able to help.

9. bristleworm thread starter macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Ok. I have no idea whatsoever what was causing it, but reinstalling iOS 4.2 on my iPhone actually solved the problem…

Thanks for your help!