Copy text messages over to iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zelnaga, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Zelnaga macrumors regular

When you sync your iPhone 4 for the first time, does it copy over your texts from your old 3G/3GS? Just wondering as I installed iOS4 on my 3G and it was completely wiped, but when it restored from the backup, all text were back up.

2. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I don't believe it does, but I am not 100% sure.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

If you restore the iPhone 4 from the backup, all your texts will be transferred.

4. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

Is that what you did when you first sync your iPhone 4?

5. themadrussian macrumors regular

Why wouldn't you? This way your settings/texts/history all get transferred. Obviously if you're not running iOS4 on your phone already then you will probably just want to set it up as a new phone, but it's quite nice just restoring from backup.

I'm planning on doing that with my phone when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow) but if there's some kind of downside then I guess I won't? I wasn't aware of a downside though.

6. mvp2206 macrumors regular

mvp2206

Just purchased my iPhone 4 and restored from backup. Everything seemed to restore ok (notes, Calendar, contacts etc) except for text messages?? Is there something I need to do in order for texts to be restored? I know its not the end of the world losing them, but its just a little annoying!

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Just got mine and restored it from backup. I have all my text messages.

8. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Same here. I plugged my old iPhone in. Hit backup. Plugged my new one in after it was done and hit restore. Everything was moved over includingy texts.

9. Chaunceyboyblu macrumors newbie

No txts after upgrade to ip4 and did restore from 3g

Anybody figure this out? Same exact thing happened to me. Have restored twice to no avail!

10. Daytona 360 macrumors member

If both of your phones are jailbroken, you can find the SMS database at:
    /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db

Copy it from the old phone to the new phone (as a precaution, if the SMS app is open, close it before you overwrite the file)