Copy to another Macbook. Can this be done?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by markyh, Aug 10, 2012.

1. markyh macrumors newbie

I bought my wife a used MacBook that came loaded with MS Office 2011. I also have a Mabook of the same year and I would like to use MS Office 2011 on my computer. I cloned her hard drive and then tried to put MS Office on my Macbook and it seemed to work until I tried to open Word. I got an error message that said something about needing to reinstall properly.

Now I know that when you purchase the MS Office you can get a version for just one computer or another version for 3 or 5, or something. I'm not trying to steal anything here, I just want to be able to use MS Word on my Macbook without having to use hers.

Is this possible??

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Did the computer come with the MS Office install disc? I'm assuming not by the way you worded your question, but thought I'd ask anyway.

It sounds like you didn't wipe the drive and start with a fresh install, which is the first thing you should do when you purchase a used computer - regardless of any neat software that may or may not be on there. Unless the previous owner did a clean install right in front of you (and even then, I'd still probably do my own install), you don't know what else could still be on the machine. Also, if the previous owner didn't give you the installation media, you're most likely breaking the software's TOS anyway.

3. markyh thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I don't think there are any other ways, at least not any that can be discussed here without breaking the rules.

5. markyh thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess she wont mind me using her computer. After all, I bought it! I just need MS Office for a class I'm taking and Open Office wont cut it.

6. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Check with your campus bookstore/computer store. Many schools offer discounts on computers and software. I purchased Office 2011 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook) for ~$30 at mine.

7. markyh thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking/hoping something like that might be possible. Thanks!!!