Copy video from a DVR

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BanjoBanker, Feb 12, 2008.

1. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I used my DVR to capture the news following the Mercedes Marathon here in Birmingham to capture some co-workers crossing the finish line. I have been asked if I can copy it to a CD somehow. Has anyone ever transfered video from a DVR to a Mac? Once I get it on the BlackMac I can go from there, just getting to the BalckMac is my hold up. Help!:cool:

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Even if your DVR has a firewire port, you probably won't be able to use it to transfer the recorded program off the box. Most (I believe) only transmit live programming through the firewire port, if at all.

So, here's what I've done in the past: Hook up the DVR to a digital camcorder via the composite video & audio ports. My digicam has analog-to-digital passthrough which eliminates the step of having to record to tape. Then I hookup my digicam to my Mac via firewire and use iMovie to capture the footage as it's played back on the DVR.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You must be more specific when you talk about DVR. A TiVo DVR this would be easy, with nearly all others, it is much more difficult. The easiest way is to record this onto a VCR or DVDR system for the TV, as most companies usually lockdown their DVRs to prevent piracy (because they have no encription on their files). If yours does have a Firewire port, it is possible that if you connect to it, it will either show up as an external HD or a Video Source. If the former, it is just a matter of finding your video, if it is the latter, you should be able to capture it in QuickTime (or iMovie), by creating a new recording and the playing it back on the DVR, the video will then come across the Firewire like a DV Camera.

Good Luck,

TEG

4. BanjoBanker thread starter macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

It is a Scientific Atlanta that Brighthouse cable provides. It has the usual ports for attaching to a TV. My digital camcorder is on the fritz, or I would run it through to the Mac that way.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would suggest recording it onto a VHS Tape, then take it to a local AV facility and have them transfer it.

TEG

6. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

My Comcast Motorola HD DVR has firewire and I can plug my Mac into it and import recorded material using the Firewire SDK apps.

http://project-tigershark.com/people/rob/blog/2007/01/14/cable-tv-mac-firewire-hd-pvr

7. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Yes, if you read AVSForum or google around you'll see it is possible to copy off a DVR depending on what model you use.

This blogger provides another angle on how to use the Firewire SDK and free developer apps to transfer. Works great but it's slow because it has to be done in real-time.

8. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

9. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Can anyone suggest a good video capture "card" for a Mac ? Since I am using a MBP, I would need something Firewire or maybe USB. I want to extract some video from my DVR. No, the Firewire ports don't work and the cable company refuses to give me a box with a working set. (Yes, I have been down this road with them, its a losing battle that I get no where with)

The DVR has component and HDMI out. I am guessing component would be the best bet.