Copy video_ts folder to external hd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brobson, Nov 16, 2007.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

I have the new maxtor hd and want to backup a dvd with a video ts file on it.
    I am able to play the file in my computer by opening it with the DVD player and that's fine since it is an educational video and I will always play it at my computer. I am backing it up and cannot figure out how to do it. I put the disk in and it comes up as Identifier/video_ts and I schedule a backup. When I check it afterwards it appears in my backup hd but when i look at all the folders, they are not all there. The get info shows it is not as large either.
    Do I need to copy this to my desktop first? It said it would take 46 hours. Is there an application I can use? MactheRipper does nothing nor does toast unless I am using them incorrectly.
    Thanks
    Brenda

2. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

disc utility?

Can I copy it using disk utility?
    File-New-Disk Image from disc copy?

I named it the title of the program and the disk utility progress started but I am not sure this is what I need for backup?

3. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

It wouldn't copy it, it said disk error.
    Is there no way to back this up?

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Copying the video_TS folder from a DVD won't work. It needs to be extracted from the disk. Normally, MactheRipper will do the job. Is this a commercial DVD? One you made yourself? How to do it depends on the DVD and what, if any, encryption it has on it.

5. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

I don't remember if it was encrypted but I already used mac the ripper once and got it to the video_ts state. If I could burn it to a dvd that would work and I could then put it on the hard drive. But it's a ts folder on a dvd so toast wants to eject it and then asks for a dvd. Maddening

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Rather than backing up the video_TS folder, create a disk image of the DVD. It's essentially the same thing, but it creates an image that can be mounted as if you had inserted the originally DVD.

Insert the DVD, then launch Disk Utility. Select File > New > Disk Image from (inserted DVD). You'll then be prompted for the save location, which can be your external drive. If it's not a commercial, copy-protected DVD (and if you used MactheRipper, it shouldn't be), Disk Utility should handle it fine.

7. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

I am trying that now thanks. I see it's Write Status it's Read Only. I think I did this early on when I didn't know exactly what I was doing because all my other dvd's are CD/DVD master. Is that what made it fail before do you think?
    I am trying to save it to the HD location as a read only again.