Copy vs Move File Off Desktop

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
748
13
For some reason, whenever I drag a file from my desktop (where I usually save downloads) to my external harddrive, it only copies them, never moving them. I thought it shoudl simply move the file not copy it, how to I ammend this error.
 

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,174
1
53132
brsboarder said:
For some reason, whenever I drag a file from my desktop (where I usually save downloads) to my external harddrive, it only copies them, never moving them. I thought it shoudl simply move the file not copy it, how to I ammend this error.
No, this is correct behavior in Mac OS X. When you drag the item, a green "+" should appear on your cursor, indicating that a "Copy" is taking place.

There is a key that you can hold down to make enable the "Move" function during the same action.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,033
1
Portland, OR
michaelrjohnson said:
No, this is correct behavior in Mac OS X. When you drag the item, a green "+" should appear on your cursor, indicating that a "Copy" is taking place.
Addendum.. this is what happens when one moves data to another volume. If one is drag & dropping on the same volume, the data is "Moved". In order to drag & copy data on the same volume, one uses the Option+click+drag. Anyway, drag & copy to another volume is the default behavior. I wasn't aware that there was any way to change this behavior at all, so I'll be interested to see below:

michaelrjohnson said:
There is a key that you can hold down to make enable the "Move" function during the same action. (I'll post it here when I find it, or it will be posted below.)
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,368
973
New England
FWIW this is also standard behavious on XP.

Drag to same volume = move, drag to another volume = copy, shift-drag to another volume = move, control-drag to same volume = copy.

B