Copy Windows Vista off of a PC?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mrbigchin, Feb 13, 2010.

1. mrbigchin macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to copy the windows os off of my pc and install it on my Mac?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you are retiring the PC, and your Windows license allows for transfer (i.e. it is a retail license and not an OEM license you can easily migrate it over to your Mac as a virtual machine in VMWare Fusion using the built in tool on the home page or VMWare Converter.

I'm sure that Parallels offers something similar.

B

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

As long as you do not use your PC, it will be legal to install it with a illegally obtained install CD, as you are just simply transferring your licence to another machine.

But you need a CD. Get torrentin' (JOKE!)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Even though you are joking, note that OEM licenses like the ones that are usually included with pre-built PCs do not generally come with license transfer rights.

YMMV. Read your licenses.

B

6. mrbigchin thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I took the license from my friends broken pc and then torrented the windows os to install it
    Won't that work?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's all about the product key. It has to match the kind of media you install it with. In some cases if you have for example a Dell OEM product key, you need a Dell OEM install CD.

YMMV.

B