Copy "Year" tag to "Sort Album" tag

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hollerz, Apr 14, 2010.

1. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

In the iTunes browser, in the album column the albums are all sorted alphabetically, I'd like them to be sorted by Year (oldest to newest).

I've found that if you change the "Sort Album" tag to the year the album was released, they are sorted how I want them.

Is there a way to copy the Year tag to the Sort Album tag for all songs automatically? I've tried editing this Applescript (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=thistagthattag) to include the Sort Album tag but I don't know Applescript and I'm not having much luck.

Anyone know how to do it?

Thanks!

2. hollerz thread starter macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Found a script that (sort of) works. But I ran into some problems with albums from different artists but the same year not showing up in the browser. Gonan have to manually set sort album to "2004-Name Of Album".

A gradual process I think! :D

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Yes, any albums with the same sort field will appear as one single album. You need to make sure they're all different by adding the band name and maybe the month of release for example. I put the band name then the release date.

Like so :

David Bowie 1972-06-06

4. hollerz thread starter macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Yeah, cheers. It's gonna take a while, but also gives me a chance to go through everything, delete some of the crap, and fix a few rogue tags.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm assuming you're aware of the standard "Album by Year" sort that's built into iTunes, and that you don't like that it sorts by artist, then by year, right?

6. hollerz thread starter macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Of course, I'm talking about the Column Browser. If you look at the attachment the albums are now listed by year of release, instead of the usual alphabetically.

Attached Files:

7. krudsma macrumors newbie

Hello all, first post.

I worked out a script that is a variant of the "Swap this with that" tag, in that it copies one tag to the other rather than switching it. I added year and sort album, so you can copy the year to sort album easily. However, I would like to work out a way to copy the album or artist name and append it to the end of the sort album tag. I was trying to find a way to alter the "Append To Selected Tag" script, but to no avail. I don't know a ton about applescript, so could anyone give me a direction to go in?

Anyway, I attached the script as it is for those who want to copy the year to sort album. Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Attached Files: