Copyied image to new drive, now dock etcis off screen?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kaji79, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Kaji79 macrumors member

Ok so over the last few days I have been trying to get my sons ibook upgraded. What happened is he misplaced his disks, so using superduper! I copied a image of his old hard drive to a usb drive, then using firewire copied it to the new hard drive.

Now when it boots up, everything is off screen even though the display picture is normal.

What I have tried:
    Resetting the pram
    Resetting the Nvram
    Resetting firmware
    Reinstalling using a tiger retail disk(does the same thing)
    Disconnecting everything and resetting with out power
    Retying to copy the disk image 3x
    Repaired Permissions
    Resetting the monitor
    Hooked it up to a big screen TV

When I used the laptop to display other macs while they are in target disk mode it does not do this.

I included a video, it's not that great in quality, but hopefully you can see what I mean. The mouse stops at the top, bottom and left edges of the screen. When I go to the right it just disappears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKK_WOcfJJo

Spent a few days pulling my hair out. Thanks in advance.

2. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

I suspect that the com.apple.dock.db and/or com.apple.dock.plist files are corrupt. Try moving both these files to the desktop, then logging out and back in. These files can be found in ~/Library/Preferences, where ~ is your home directory.

Removing these files will reset your dock back to its default state.
    Hope this helps

Good luck!:)

3. Kaji79 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to say it didn't work...funny part is I just hooked it up to my powerbook and put the ibook in target disk mode...and no problem it loaded just like normal! I don't get it!