Copying a Disc Image

Discussion in 'macOS' started by christall109, Jul 14, 2007.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm pretty much a Mac software newbie, even though I have had my MacBook Pro for almost a year now. I was wondering if was at all possible to copy a PC game's CD (Age of Empire II: Age of Kings) to make multiple copies because I have many computers on my network and each machine requires the disc in order to run.

Is there way to do this with Mac OS X, or do I have to buy software? Or is there freeware out there that can do it?

Best Regards,

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not sure of the legalities, but Disk Utility in the Utilities folder will let you copy discs.

3. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

You can open up Disk Utility and make an image of the disc that you can copy from computer to computer and mount when you want to play the game. The software shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Its simple to do: open Disk Utility ("/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app"), select the CD you want to create the image of in the left column, click "New Image", choose a name and location for the file and click Save. When you want to play, double click the file and it will mount the disk image. Sorry if my explanation is a bit basic, but I wasn't sure where exactly your level of expertise lies. :p

As for the legalities...as long as the game's license allows you to install and play the game on multiple computers there should be no legal issues with creating a disc image of the disc. Some of the more pesky organizations might tell you different if you asked, but a disc image should fall under fair use. In any case, the FBI isn't going to be smash in your door because of it and no one will care.

4. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help!

The games like 10 years old..so I'm not too worried.

Thanks again for the help guys!

P.S. - I've had my Mac for about a year.. made the switch last August. I AM SO HAPPY I DID...they're just so easy to use.