Copying a DVD for Backup only-MacTheRippler

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rickfelix123, Feb 18, 2008.

1. rickfelix123 macrumors newbie

I am using Mac The Ripper to copy a DVD (of course for back up only), but after it copies onto my hard drive, it just shows up as several video and audio files, I can't get it to open or play. Also, how do I then use Toast to make a copy for Back up. Thanks for your help.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

All those files will be contained inside a folder called VIDEO_TS
    Open up DVD player.app and Open that folder (not a file inside). This will then play the DVD.

To make a backup disk, tell Toast to burn Video DVD from VIDEO_TS folder and select the VIDEO_TS folder.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Try handbrake...

For most it is alot easier to use and can export to a variety of formats

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, not to create a backup DVD it's not.
    If you are trying to create a file to be played on your computer, then yes Handbrake has it's advantages, but to rip and burn a backup DVD, MTR and Toast is a better method.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'd like to add "and archive" to the "backup-only" in the subject of this thread. You really don't want to be backing up your original data by compressing it in any lossy fashion. The formats that Handbrake outputs may be good for today, but you may want to reconvert differently in the future as new tools and formats become available. If you are backing-up your DVDs to create a safe archive, use MTR. Personally, I am getting rid of my optical discs once my archive is complete and fully backed up itself.

Optical discs are so 20th-century.

6. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I prefer Mac osex (http://osex.en.softonic.com/mac) over Mactheripper. It doesn't simply rip the whole DVD and dump a folder full of vobs, but allows you to select the title and create a single VOB. I find it much better for ripping DVDs of TV shows.

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ah sorry I definately misinterpreted the term "backup"

So for your digital collection of full quality DVD's I would suggest something like this (DVDBackup for Mac) (although there was a better alternative but I can't remember what it was called!

But if you want to back it up (or any other video file for that matter) to a CD/DVD I would definately suggest Toast! Worth every penny for me!

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mac the Rippler, lol.

Drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder to the Toast window and hit burn, job done.

If you want to play it directly from the computer use VLC or Apple DVD Player and select the VIDEO_TS folder to play it.