Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zuplar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
what is the best way to make an exact copy of a dvd? i want it to be exactly like the original, but when i use handbrake it always copies it into a single file such as an avi. also what do you use to then burn the dvd?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
what is the best way to make an exact copy of a dvd? i want it to be exactly like the original, but when i use handbrake it always copies it into a single file such as an avi. also what do you use to then burn the dvd?

If you are looking for an exact copy, then you need MacTheRipper followed by Toast i believe.

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
God.. if you're going to copy DVD's you may as well at least pay for the software. I know.. you're just making backups. I hear ya, I'm just saying open your wallet and join the economy. People gotta get paid. What comes around goes around.

Zuplar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
yeah i'm just not made of money and with my current problem with identity theft, i don't have a way of paying online so that's unfortunately not an option at this time.

Zuplar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
You don't need the full power of Toast, you can use Popcorn instead. Still not free, but cheaper than Toast.

that doesn't really help with the fact i have no way of purchasing it, but what is the difference between the 2?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
There is freeware to rip the DVD (MacTheRipper) on OSX, but as far as I know there is no freeware to burn it to disc.

There is a freeware program called Burn that will burn the files handbrake creates to disk, but you will not get the menus and stuff.

Basically if you are going to make an exact copy of a disk, you will need to suck it up and buy some software.

If you want to know the difference between Toast and Popcorn, go here and read up on it or search the forums. There are hundreds of threads on this topic.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
There is a freeware program called Burn that will burn the files handbrake creates to disk, but you will not get the menus and stuff.
Burn can absolutely burn a VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD that will have menus and such. A "Video" DVD is really just a data DVD with special filenames, so depending on if MTR was told to keep the menus and such, you'll still have them.

Rip with MTR, burn with Burn should work as long as you don't have a DVD that is larger than your available media. i.e. a full pressed double layer DVD that won't fit on a double layer -R/+R blank.

B

Zuplar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
so since most movies rip around 7 gig, will Burn shrink it to fit, or do i need to use another program?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.