copying a dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zuplar, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

what is the best way to make an exact copy of a dvd? i want it to be exactly like the original, but when i use handbrake it always copies it into a single file such as an avi. also what do you use to then burn the dvd?

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

If you are looking for an exact copy, then you need MacTheRipper followed by Toast i believe.

3. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

4. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

God.. if you're going to copy DVD's you may as well at least pay for the software. I know.. you're just making backups. I hear ya, I'm just saying open your wallet and join the economy. People gotta get paid. What comes around goes around.

5. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

yeah i'm just not made of money and with my current problem with identity theft, i don't have a way of paying online so that's unfortunately not an option at this time.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You don't need the full power of Toast, you can use Popcorn instead. Still not free, but cheaper than Toast.

7. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

that doesn't really help with the fact i have no way of purchasing it, but what is the difference between the 2?

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

There is freeware to rip the DVD (MacTheRipper) on OSX, but as far as I know there is no freeware to burn it to disc.

There is a freeware program called Burn that will burn the files handbrake creates to disk, but you will not get the menus and stuff.

Basically if you are going to make an exact copy of a disk, you will need to suck it up and buy some software.

If you want to know the difference between Toast and Popcorn, go here and read up on it or search the forums. There are hundreds of threads on this topic.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Burn can absolutely burn a VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD that will have menus and such. A "Video" DVD is really just a data DVD with special filenames, so depending on if MTR was told to keep the menus and such, you'll still have them.

Rip with MTR, burn with Burn should work as long as you don't have a DVD that is larger than your available media. i.e. a full pressed double layer DVD that won't fit on a double layer -R/+R blank.

B

10. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

so since most movies rip around 7 gig, will Burn shrink it to fit, or do i need to use another program?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You'll need to use something like Popcorn or VisualHub to shrink it. (not free). (Or just use double layer media).

B

12. Zuplar thread starter macrumors regular

Zuplar

that sucks.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You did say that you wanted it "just like the original". :p So suck it up and pay for the DL media at least.

B