Copying a hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnbro23, Nov 23, 2007.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I have two computers - an eMac and a MacBook Pro. The eMac hard drive had to be erased, and the software reinstalled. So all my applications, music, photos, ect. are wiped out. I'm wondering if its possible to copy everything (i.e. completely mirror the drive) on my MacBook Pro hard drive to my eMac hard drive?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

You should be able to do this by using the Migration Assistant, no? Although I'm wondering if the OS versions might be an issue. What OS is the eMac running?

3. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The eMac runs on Panther, which does not have Migration Assistant. Do you think that app is compatible, say if I just email it to myself for use on my eMac?

4. TimJim macrumors 6502a

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Does the eMac have the specs to run the OS (I'm assuming Leopard is on the Macbook Pro)?

6. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I don't think you actually want to clone the drive with CCC or SuperDuper. You don't want the system files etc. since you're running different OS versions and I'm assuming the MBP might be an Intel, so you don't actually need to duplicate the drive, just copy the files you need.

Tiger and Leopard both have Migration assistant. Can the eMac run either (guessing no way on Leopard)? If so and you can upgrade, that might make life easier.

I doubt the assistant will run just by copying it to the eMac. And based on the Migration Assistant FAQ (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25773) you can't perform the copy from the MBP to the eMac:
    I'm thinking your best bet might be to mount the eMac as a FireWire drive in Target Disk Mode and manually copy everything over.

7. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've finally gotten around to really trying this. I think I can boot up the eMac as a firewire drive, and simply copy all of the stuff in "Mac" under "Devices" in the Finder on my MacBook Pro to the eMac HD. Will this work? This seems a little too simple...