Copying a layout from a template site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mariahlullaby, Aug 20, 2007.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

A client sent me a link to a template site that she would like for her jewelry store. She is willing to pay to purchase the template ($65, which makes me wonder since it's pretty professional looking, how easy it will be to manipulate the code, I wonder).

I'd rather create my own design so I know we can tweak/manipulate it as much as we want.

I created a design that was similar to the template site's layout since that is what the client originally wanted, but ovbiously not exactly the same thing. Mostly it uses similar colors and fonts.

Is this legal?

2. toddburch macrumors 6502a

If you didn't copy the code, I see no problem, but then again, I'm not a lawyer, and this is not a legal-information-on-demand website either.
    Let her pay the money for the template - be done with it. If the copyright says you can't modify it, then don't even go there.

Todd

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

if you didnt copy code, but copied design, I really think you are in the clear.

the $65 was for the code and the style sheet.

if you dont have those in your possession, it cant be stealing to be inspired by a design.

but if someone is going to buy the design and not pay you extra for saving them the $65, let em drop the cash.

welcome the world of web design, ARRRRRRRR!