copying an optical disc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aethelbert, Jul 6, 2008.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

I just got Leopard for my iMac and I'd like to copy the disc. In all of my years of owning a mac (almost 20...), I've never tried to do this. Now I'm confused. What's the easiest way to go about making a copy of a DVD (or any optical media, I guess)? I've looked through disc utility and nothing seems to be what I'm looking for. Knowing how to convert it to a .dmg or .iso would help, as I'm pretty sure that I know how to burn via disc utility. But what are my options for getting a copy of the disc onto my hard drive to burn?

I would experiment by myself, but DL-DVDs are too expensive to waste.

Thanks

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Buy toast titanium for $80 dollars. But I highly doubt you will be able to copy DVD's by apple because of the software encryption on there DVD's.

--Eric

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse

I was going to say, I didn't think that was legal...

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

In Disk Utility, click on the Leopard disc. Then click on New Image. I think you can leave the default options. Once the image is created, you can burn that image onto a blank disc.

No need for Toast, just use Disk Utility and Apple's DVD are not software encrypted.

It's not illegal to make a backup copy of your legally owned software.

5. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I have used Toast 8 in the past to make an archive backup of the Leopard upgrade DVD onto a Dual Layer disc.

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    My bad, I thought they were encrypted...

You would think if it is encrypted to not be copied that it would be illegal to do so... But, like you said, this is not the case... :eek:

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think that for the most part, the people who Apple really needs to concern themselves with in terms of illegal copying are the OSx86 crowd, and they aren't going to be making direct copies of the install discs anyway.

Even so, they don't seem to be too concerned.

8. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks, that worked. I'd think that after so many years of using disk utility for partitioning and burning that I would've figured that one out.

I actually read the terms in the little booklet to make sure that it is legal.

9. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Don't feel bad about it. It's one of the most stupid ways of copying a disc I've ever heard of - but it's all that Apple's given us right now...

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Once I understood the concept and versatility of a disk image, it didn't seem stupid at all.

11. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

In the PC world, there are utilities called 'Disc Copy'. So I suppose it just comes down to what's obvious and what's not obvious. :D