Copying Backups to new drive seems to get hung up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hi everyone!

Okay, so I bought a larger HD to copy over my old backups. Its been about 10 hours and its halfway copying. All of a sudden I have noticed that the progress bar has stopped (still "shining" blue) and the light is only blinking on the "new" drive. Both drives copy and paste a small .pdf file no problem but the huge transfer seems to have paused?

Any ideas on how to check status or how to get it moving along?:confused:

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

I guess you use Finder to copy? If so, it is better to use CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) or SuperDuper! to make a 1:1 copy, as when Finder hangs, it hangs and you might have to copy everything again.
    With CCC and SD! you can continue if the applications encounter a problem and even if they hang at some point, you can continue where you left off due to a restart or something.

Finder is not really meant for copying thousands of files of different sizes.

As for seeing if any progress is made, go to Activity Monitor and select the Disk Activity tab to see any READ and/or WRITE actions.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I agree with simsaladimbamba.

Another thing that could be causing problems is bad block(s) on either the target or source (most likely) drive.

If you insist on using the Finder you could try breaking down the copying into smaller parts.

4. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

You guys are legends! Thanks! Downloading SuperDuper now!