Copying Bootcamp Partition To New iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by FranksWildYears, Jul 20, 2011.

1. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Hi,

I should have a new iMac turning up within the next day or two. I know how to migrate my OS X stuff, but I also have a Windows 7 partition - Is there an easy way of copying this straight over, or do I need to install Windows on the new Mac and then copy my data? Will Windows even let me install on the second unit given that it's a single user license and as far as I know uses online verification?

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's generally not a good idea to move a Windows install to hardware that isn't VERY similar so you should certainly consider using the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard and reinstalling on the new iMac. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

If you bought a full retail license of Windows 7, the EULA grants you transfer rights, so you can reinstall without incurring the wrath of the online activation system.

If you bought an OEM/System Builder license, the EULA explicitly does not grant you transfer rights, though in most cases Microsoft will activate a reinstall to different hardware on the phone without real issues.

B

3. FranksWildYears thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, thanks. That tells me all I need to know! I have a full license so I'll be fine to reinstall and use the wizard.