Copying CDs to hard drive

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by davidr1970, Sep 3, 2011.

1. davidr1970 macrumors newbie

OK, I have a question so basic I'm a bit embarrassed to ask, but here goes: How do I make an exact copy of my CDs to my Mac's hard drive?

Please note, I am NOT talking about a simple import to iTunes, where my files are converted to MP3 or lossless or some other format. I mean an EXACT copy. I can make copies of individual songs no problem, simply drag and drop them to a folder, but what I'm looking for is a copy of the entire CD, including any encoded information beyond what is in the individual songs.

Thanks all!

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

3. treestar macrumors 6502

How? I think the OP wanted to save an entire disk image, which is tricky with Red Books because each track is it's own, plus the TOC.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Generally when people ask this question this they are looking for an Exact Audio Copy equivalent for mac. If you have a better idea why don't you politely suggest it rather than jumping down my throat.

5. treestar macrumors 6502

I'm sorry! I was actually genuinely asking how. I would like to know. I wanted to backup my CD collection as disk images in the past when I used PCs. I learned then and there that you can't make an .ISO of an audio cd. I honestly would like to get into archiving my CDs as disk images, and it seemed the OP wanted to do the same. He/She was pretty clear that he/she didn't want to make copies of individual tracks, whether they were lossless or lossy. You suggest XLD. I have XLD and I was curious how to do it.

Either XLD can do something I am not aware of (please show me!) or XLD doesn't help the OP. Reread his/her question.

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Saving as a single image file with a cue and log file is probably the closest you can get.