Copying contents from PPC iMac to MacBook, any problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LukeW, Aug 13, 2007.

1. LukeW macrumors member

I am going to be retiring my old iMac to become the families home entertainment hub and I will be using my shiny new MacBook Pro for my own personal use. I have done a fresh installation of OSX on the laptop, I am wondering what would happen if I selected the option to copy over the contents, applications, music, photos, etc of my old iMac to the new machine? I am using an old Adobe CS1 package and Macromedia stuff before it became Adobe so I am aware that they will have to run slightly slower on the new machine anyway, though I don't do anything heavy and the massive jump in processing power and RAM should take care of any speed problems. I am more concered that it will muck the MacBook in some way! Would the MacBook run applications in the same way as if they have been installed natively? How about if the iMac's iLife packages are an older version compared to the MacBooks? Will it end up taking up a load of additional hard disk space? All the questions and more would be great if they could be answered! Plus if you have any helpful suggestions or advice that would be great! Even knowing if it could be done at all would be a help! :D

2. Badradio macrumors 6502

The migration utility only copies your data files - music, pictures, preferences, etc. It won't copy you application files across, so you'll need to reinstall all of your apps that aren't on the mbp. It won't mess anything up on the new machine, and as your application preferences are copied it should be reasonably easy to get things running the way you want. The only hiccup might be if any new apps need to update your files on first launch (like with some iTunes updates) but nothing you mentioned should require that.