copying dvds to computer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by timsmagic, Nov 20, 2010.

1. timsmagic macrumors newbie

I have a collection of 200 dvds and I would like to have them on my computer or separate hard drive for easy access. I have handbrake, Toast and just downloaded Delicious monster to use as a book shelf. I would like to make dvd copies in the future from the stored backup. I needed to know the best way to copy/burn/convert. When I use handbrake the file extensions keep changing and when I playback sometimes it uses itunes sometimes quicktime. Can I put dvd covers on itunes? What is the best way to organize the collection? I will purchase any software that would make this job easier.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. timsmagic, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010

timsmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

I also have mac the ripper

what is the most efficient for storage space

4. jlw2387 macrumors member

I copy mine using Handbrake, and use its default compression, then import it to iTunes so I can play them back on my Apple TV. After they are in iTunes you can add artwork for your covers. This isn't the best method if you want a 100% backup copy, but it saves alot of HDD space.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Depends on if you want a true disc image to burn as a backup or like the poster above says, you want a copy on your computer. Disc images made by MDRP will be much larger than rips from Handbrake. You have to decide what you want as an outcome before you choose your tool.

6. timsmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you add artwork to itunes for front cover?

7. jlw2387 macrumors member

After it is in your library, right click, Get Info, Artwork tab, then click Add.

8. timsmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a picture of the dvd cover on file. The dvds are not mainstream dvds . I am a magician and they are instructional magic dvds

9. iVoid macrumors 65816

If you're a magician shouldn't you just be able to wave you wand over the dvds to transfer them to your computer by magic? :)

Or is that covered on a later DVD? :)

10. timsmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

the last time i waved my wand my wife got pregnant so I try to be very careful

11. tpth macrumors member

That is the single best post I have ever read on these forums.