Copying files from one Mac to another over a network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atlanticza, Jul 25, 2008.

1. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

It would seem intuitive to drag and drop files from one Mac to another via Share Screen under VNC but it doesn't work. Am I being dumb here?

2. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Share screen just lets you see things it isn't for copying.

You need to connect normally to copy files.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple Remote Desktop allows that if you turned on the proper setting. VNC won't let you do it.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

In the Sharing Prefs on the Mac you want to copy files to and from, turn on file sharing.

The Mac you did this on should show up on the other mac under Shared.

Then just open two finder windows, one for the mac your on and the other for the mac you shared. In the side panel, click on the Mac you shared and you will be prompted for a username and password. Once you enter that info (you can add it to your keychain) you can access the files and folders on the shared mac.

Then its just a matter of drag and drop letting the Finder do the copy.

5. atlanticza thread starter macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

6. kkathman macrumors newbie

Actually, merl1n isn't precisely correct.

If you are copying from say, your iMac to your Macbook Pro, you'll quickly find that even if you connect as your host name on your bigger machine, you won't be able to copy those files until you share the folder (AND ALL SUB-FOLDERS). This is a real PITA about the way Apple tries to implement security and fails miserably. Simply checking "File Sharing" will not accomplish this, in Snow Leopard that is.

I'm open to a solution, by the way, that contradicts this. But I have an iMac and a brand new MB Pro, both running Snow Leopard, and setting file sharing did not allow me to copy across machines unless I shared all the way down the tree, manually. There is no way to share a directory and have it share it's subfolders automatically. (Changing permissions won't work either).