Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jabberwok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Hi!
I have MBP with MacOS 10.7.5. I am trying to copy large amount of files from Win7 to it. Everything goes fine for a while, but once in a few minutes connection stucks with message Network share is no longer available. So I have to retry copying. It gets really annoying, because estimated transfer time is about 1 hr and I have to retry every 30s-1min.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrey

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

You could try to reset the network configurations but there are also other ways to do it.

You are probably copying it from the Mac now, what I mean is you are working on the Mac and copy files to your mac, you could also go the other way around.

You could share your Mac disk to windows using SMB in sharing Preferences and the disk should show up in Windows and then copy the files on the Windows side.
You could also share the disk using ftp on the windows side but sadly I don't know if you need special programs on the windows side.
If for instance you could share your windows disk over ftp you could use go- connect to server in menu in finder and it will mount it.

But, it seems your network on whichever side is causing problems, you could try to drag the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration to your desktop and restart your mac and try again, all your network settings are reset this way, if it does not work drag the folder back to where it was.

There are also other ways to move files over, the simplest way is to use an external disk and copy to that disk and connect to mac and copy from that disk.
Also it is possible with usb cable but then you need special software.
Does the windows PC have a firewire card, if so you could set up a firewire network connection.

Could also be a router problem.

hachiroku

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Hi!
I have MBP with MacOS 10.7.5. I am trying to copy large amount of files from Win7 to it. Everything goes fine for a while, but once in a few minutes connection stucks with message Network share is no longer available. So I have to retry copying. It gets really annoying, because estimated transfer time is about 1 hr and I have to retry every 30s-1min.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrey

I've always had issues as you've described. My only alternative was to use an external drive to copy files.

now that i think of it, after i got NTFS-3G working on my macbook i no longer had this issue. maybe its just a coincidence.

is the windows 7 machine NTFS or exFAT format?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.