Copying files in order - Mac to HDD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Koala Operative, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Koala Operative macrumors newbie

Hey guys, quick question:

Is there a tool, or a way to copy several files from my Mac to a external HD, while preserving the order of the files? I ask this because I'm trying to match the alphabetical order of the files in my Mac, with the File Allocation Table.

My HDD will be used on a Philips TV, and the files are mostly MKV and AVI files. But since this TV is dumb, it shows the order of the files as they were copied, hence I need to copy the files in the same order as they show in the Mac.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Flantec macrumors newbie

You could use the terminal command rsync to copy alphabetically.

the command would look something like this:

rsync -rv /users/username/videos/ /volumes/externalhd

you would need to use the correct paths for both the source and the destination, but rsync does copy alphabetically. good luck

3. Koala Operative, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

Koala Operative thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, I'm gonna give it a try! :)

Thanks for the info!

EDIT -
    Okay, apparently this is what I need, but what would be the correct paths for two external HDs?

4. Flantec macrumors newbie

the source and destinations are going to be specific to your computer and hardware. where are the source videos located? I am assuming that the source resides in your videos folder. if so, you need to change "username" with your exact username

as far as the destination, in terminal, type the following:

ls /volumes

if your external drive name has one or more spaces in it, you have to encapsulate in within quotes

i.e. rsync -rv /users/koala/videos/ "/volumes/My External HDD"