Copying files to two destinations simultaneously...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joeloud, Aug 3, 2008.

1. joeloud macrumors newbie

Sorry, if this is a dupe; I couldn't find a thread on this subject anywhere. I'm going to be working on a video shoot coming up and I'll need to copy files on the fly to at least two external drives. Now I doubt that they'll be dumping cards so fast that the copying won't be done before filling another card, but I still don't know exactly how much time they're going to be giving me between dumps. I need to copy to at least 2 hard drives, and I'd like to know if there's a way that I can copy files to two hard drives at the same time.

I know of the existence of RAID 1, but I've never used it before (or any RAID, really), so I don't know how quick/easy it would be to set this up on set, or if it's even going to be useful. I'm not even sure if they're going to provide two of the same hard drives, which I understand is preferred when setting up a RAID array.

Any thoughts?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If you can't just drag and drop twice in the Finder, then you can use Terminal to do a 'cp' copy of the files. Be sure to test it out.

Example:
    Code:
    mkdir /Volumes/Video1/dump1
    mkdir /Volumes/Video2/dump1
    cp /Volumes/Memcard/* /Volumes/Video1/dump1 &
    cp /Volumes/Memcard/* /Volumes/Video2/dump1